The prices here offer an estimated range per service. Actual prices will depend on the word count and the level and urgency of service required.
These rates are in line with the recommended minimum rates laid down by the SfEP and EFA.
Editorial Freelancer’s Association: Recommended rates.
Last updated: 22 March 2022
These prices offer an average rate only as I use a sliding scale. Prices in the Quick Booking Service are priced from the higher end of that range. Please feel free to contact me for an exact quote. These rates vary depending on the size of the manuscript.
Developmental EditingBased on a 100,000 word fiction manuscript
- Here I will look at how your writing comes together and advise you of trouble spots: inaccuracies, where the plot is lost or inconsistent; where there is an excess of description; where the characters are indistinct etc. At this stage, I will look at how sections might be re-ordered or improved so they fit together better and better represent the expectations of the reader.
- For more prices, visit the Booking Service.
ProofreadingBased on a 100,000 word fiction manuscript
- This is the final stage of the editing process but certainly no less important than the other stages. This service is suitable only if the other levels have already been applied and other issues have been addressed and resolved. It’s the final spit and polish.
CopyeditingBased on a 100,000 word manuscript
- This is where I will check the fine details such as your spelling, punctuation and grammar, ensuring the correct use of words, and the consistency of your argument or storyline. You may have inadvertently deviated from the expected course, or become overwhelmed by the amount of information. Inconsistency in spelling will also be caught and picked up in sentence-level editing so you, the author, can be alerted and be able to promptly correct it in the next draft. I will make sure you can see all of these corrections.
Stylistic EditBased on a 100,000 word manuscript
- This is where I look at the stylistic choices you have made to the document as a whole. The fine details such as your spelling, punctuation and grammar, are dealt with at the copyediting stage or lower. You may have inadvertently deviated from the expected course, or become overwhelmed by the amount of information. Small errors will also be caught and picked up in sentence-level editing. The preferred document format is a Word document (.docx) and changes are tracked.
Manuscript CritiqueBased on a 100,000 word manuscript
- Manuscript Critique includes feedback on:
- Story progression, remaining plot holes or inconsistencies, reader engagement, dialogue flow, repeating and overused phrases, spelling and grammar, mixed metaphors and homophones.
- You will receive detailed and properly presented feedback.This service is feedback only. No actual changes will be made.
Editorial AppraisalBased on a 100,000 word manuscript
- This service provides a more detailed insight into the developmental and structural issues identified in your whole manuscript than a Beta-Read. It also looks at stylistic problems in voice and tone, and the means by which to fix these problems. No changes are made to the document bar comments. Spelling and grammar are dealt with in Proofreading which is a separate service. If you would like both an appraisal as well as other services, it is important that you ask for both in your enquiry.
These rates are fixed and non-negotiable.
Sample editUp to 1500 words
- For copyediting or proofreading.
- Sample edits are refunded on the final invoice if you take me on for the project.
Time Block 1Mon - Fri | 9am-5pm GMT | 8 Hours
Time Block 2Mon - Fri | 10am-4pm GMT | 6hours
Time Block 3Mon - Fri | 9am-1pm or 1pm-4pm | 4 hours
Outlining adviceVideo call
Reading and Research AssistanceVideo call and Email
- Will also format for eBook.